← What To Do If Buying A Car Outright Just Isn’t Affordable Don’t go parking up the wrong tree. →
Driving Safely on Country Road
Going for a Drive?
Enjoy our beautiful country roads with thes simple tips to keep you safe:
- Always ensure you can stop within the distance you can see to be clear on your own side of the road. This will mean you probably need to significantly reduce your speed when approaching bends. Accelerate only when you can see through the bend.
- Be aware that vulnerable road users including cyclists and horses are more likely to use these roads, and give them plenty of space when you do come across them.
- Rural roads can be very windy. Use the line of hedges, trees or telegraph poles to reveal which direction the road goes in well in advance.
- Drive with extra care past apparently isolated houses and buildings, in case people or vehicles are around.
- Mud on the road may mean that farm vehicles will be moving around. Look out for vehicles emerging from field entrances.
- Don’t swerve uncontrollably if a small animal darts out in front of you. It’s better to have a broken fog light or a dented bumper than the loss of control or a serious accident.